Wednesday, June 20, 2012

SUSAN LEVINE SPINS YOU INTO GAY PRIDE 2012

 ****
SPINNING WITH DJ SUSAN LEVINE
****
 

Susan Levine



It is Gay Pride weekend in NY and Pride is all about the celebrations and the music that moves the parties! So let's talk gay music! If I have to pick THE song that symbolizes PRIDE I think that the quintessential gay dance song is "I AM WHAT I AM." The song was originally introduced in the TONY award winning Broadway musical "La Cage Aux Folles" (1983–1987). It was composed in 1983 by Jerry Herman an openly gay man. "I Am What I Am'" was then recorded by Gloria Gaynor in 1983 and eventually became one of two Gaynor songs that became anthems for the gay pride movement the other being 1978's "I Will Survive." I closed the 2009 women's pier dance in NYC for the 40th anniversary of The Stonewall Riots with "I Am What I Am." The perfect song for such a big anniversary!


Since there is so much great dance music that is associated with gay dance club scene I want to give you some my all time favorite picks of some of the best dance music that has weathered the test of time. There are so many fierce dance songs that consistently resonate on my dance floors over the years and are also Pride favorites so it is the perfect time to give them their due. Who hasn't been compelled to shake their groove thing to the BIG female vocals that are infamous in the gay clubs. 



Here are some of my all time favorite picks:




I am having a hard time choosing which Whitney because there are so many. The one I love to sing at the top of my lungs while I am DJing would be "My Love Is Your Love" and I am loving the new remix Joe Gauthreaux produced. Of course who could resist the Jr Vasquez remix of "I Wanna Dance With Somebody!" And I can't leave out the Thunderpuss version of "It's Night Right But It's OK."
Deborah Cox has given us many big vocal anthems with "Absolutely Not" remixed by Hex Hector and "Nobody's Supposed To Be Here", always getting the crowds moving. 


I've had the pleasure of DJing for the amazing diva Reina once at pier dance and also at Cherrys On The Bay. "No One's Gonna Change You" is definitely a gay fav. 


Where do I start with Queen Diva Madonna? There are so many great Madonna songs over the years so how do I pick? My personal favorite is "Ray Of Light" which the one Madonna that crosses over to all crowds. Sunday, August 28th I will be DJing a Madonna lovefest at Cherrys On The Bay before she hits NY on tour! 


As I am thinking about the twinks idol Britney Spears, there she is on my TV talking about X-Factor! Old school "Baby One More Time" or "Toxic" (Peter Rauhofer). More current "Till The World Ends" and Irish producer Liam Keegan"s remix.


Put your hands up for super diva Mary J Blige because Moto Blanco has given us legendary remixes of both "Be Without You" and "Just Fine" which draw in a dance floor without fail.


Certainly Adele has added her voice to the list of big gay female vocals with "Rolling In The Deep." My 2 favorite remixes were done by Dark Intensity for a hard mix and Tom Buster with Kidzoy for a tribal beat. Last summer "Someone Like You" became the song of the summer and the Funk3d version blends the vocal drop and the beat superbly. Gets you singing and dancing.


I just Want To F*****G Dance



I absolutely must mention a Fire Island dance floor fav because it is just soooo gay. "I Just Wanna F*****g Dance" from the Jerry Springer Opera sung by Alison Jiear is the song, and if you have never heard it check it out on youtube above.


I could go on and on with this list but since we started with Whitney we need to end with Donna Summer. We've sadly lost two of our best female vocalists this year.


Since her death the producers out there are finally remixing all her greatest disco hits but first there was Rollo and Sister Bliss who gave us an incredible version of "I Feel Love."


I absolutely love "I Will Go" which is a reinterpretation of an Italian Classical crossover sung by Andrea Bocelli "Con Te Partiro." Very moving! Of course we can all relate these days to "She Works Hard For Her Money" and Alex Dubbing did an amazing new remix of the classic! So my darlings let's dance the "Last Dance" for love and PRIDE!


Empire State Of Mind




Speaking of PRIDE and music we all have proud moments in our lives and last summer in 2011. I was lucky enough to be the headlining DJ for the NYC Women's "Heritage Of Pride" Pier Dance "Rapture On The River" the day after gay marriage was passed in New York State. Talk about dancing PROUD! I dedicated the last song of the night to New York State with the perfectly remixed and moving Alicia Keyes/ Jay Z "Empire State Of Mind" mashed with Frank Sinatra "New York New York" done by the producers Chew Fu. There was not a dry eye on the pier!



Since the readers of Times Square Gossip like to be kept abreast of the hip and trendy happenings in our lives, I am DJing a gay fabulous event tomorrow night Thursday June 21st for PRIDE. South Beaches Lord's Hotel is doing a pop up hotel in NYC for Pride at the Hotel on Rivington. Super Producer Hex Hector and I are spinning two side by side events one for the men and one for the women for "Proud To Care" which benefits fashion designer John Bartlett's Tiny Tim Foundation. 7PM-1AM The event is free but you must RSVP at proud2care@gmail.com